Monday, April 21, 2008

When Boys became Men

The A R Rahman show yday was a blast in Chennai. It shud be, since its not everyday that the gr8 prodigy performs. And what a crowd.!! The entire ground was filled with not a place to stand on. Every inch covered with people shouting and screaming on top of their voices, dancing with hairs down, singing like they were the next super singers, not bothered abt anyone around. Well yes, you guessed it rite. I was in the standing crowd. Not the seated VVIP seats, where it was as solemn as solemn can be. First time ever for me, standing shoulder to shoulder with perfect strangers and still being the lone one to scream the characteristic girly way. Of course there were times wen the crowd turned back to see who this hooligan was, but I liked it. I call this freedom, being the real me. I don’t know weder I can do this again. But I no I’ll never forget this time. I was able to come out feeling fully content, knowing that I enjoyed every moment, every second. I did things I wud never be able to in the hi-fi area, the only thing I missed was taking up my duppatta out and swingin it in the air. Well I obv cant do tht there wat with all those guys around. But one thing I really want to mention abt this show. I had gone der with my bro and his frnds. All school going kids trying to act big. But wen I left I knew they were. I was protected on all sides by 3 guys no taller than me. They find some guy trying to move close to me they come in between. I never felt so secure elsewer and I wondered, “How did they learn all this? ... At this age”. They had all grown up, my brother along with them, and I felt so proud, so good, so special. It took a standing area in a celebrity show to tell me all this. No idea where they learn this, but then thinking abt it, that’s India. The culture in wich they grow up. Their parents, their teachers can all be proud. The kids may be naughty, disobedient, but they’ve learned one quality which Ive always felt is most needed. They’ve learnt to respect women, to protect them. To know to respect girls the same way as u do your mom n sister. They may tease girls, make fun of many, and rag but they know wen to do wat and I’m glad they’ve learnt it. [:)]

No comments: