Monday, May 26, 2008

Shastri Bhavan-still the same

“Online registration for passports ?” I cudnt believe it. Well, I thot, India was changing. So that means no more queues, esp the real long ones that came with having to buy the application form, submit it and then wait for verification. Well I wanted it faster…within a week. So I opted for tatkal. There I was, on Monday, at 10.30 in the morning with all 3 address proofs ready and my 10th certificate (for date of birth), 2 copies of each. I had to go to the second floor first, to change the date on my application form and there I saw the first queue. It took half an hour for me to get the date changed. A small problem considering many other offices. Next I came to the first floor to get the ‘tatkal’ seal on my form. There was no queue there…no standing queue !! But then it was as per the appointment time given when registered, so no complaints there. I finished that with no hassles and back again n the second floor for the final verification. And that’s wen my ordeal began. I reached there at 1.05 and stood last at the shortest queue jus to find that all queues will start moving only at 2. So yes, I waited there for a good one hour wen the officer came over and the queue started moving…at the rate of one centimetre every 10 mins. Im not exaggerating, seriously. No qualms, after all its for the passport and I’ll be getting it soon…so I thot. And finally, wen the clock struck 4, it was my turn. I stepped up front, a big sigh of relief, and extended my documents. He took it, looked at me and asked, “So wer are the original documents?” I stared at him. “I dint bring them sir.” He smiled and told me, “So come with the originals and stand in the line. Next person.”
So well I understood one thing. India has developed over but the government duties still moves the same way, at the same speed. So there I’ll be going tmrw too. To stand the same queues again, while away my time again. Anything for a passport.

No comments: