Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Agatha Christie

I had never been her fan. I had never read many books of hers. And I always felt her style was too high or vague for me. The few stories I had read of hers never clicked for me. But I just read one recently, more because my friend forced me to take it. And I'm thankful. Witness for the Prosecution is definitely one of the best courtroom dramas ever written. It is a short play with the usual dose of suspense and mystery present in every Agatha Christie book. The plot revolves around Leonard Vole who is arrested for a murder that he claims he did not commit. The facts are against him and he trusts his wife to bail him out. But then things turn out worse for him when his wife ends up as a witness for the prosecution. Why Romaine purposely serves as a witness for the prosecution is revealed only at the end and this was truly the best part. The special 50th edition comes with three other novels. If you've finished with this one start Jeffery Archer's Prisoner of Birth to get the same courtroom feel. A book that changed my opinion of Agatha Christie, so obviously a must read for you.

No comments: